As the countdown to the first Wisconsin football game of the season continues, Badger of Honor is taking a look at Badgers by the numbers, checking in on a different Badger or Badgers players who wore the number corresponding with the remaining days until the Badgers head to Texas to take on the Alabama Crimson Tide Saturday, Sept. 5.
Next up in our countdown, signifying 92 days until college football is back, is a pair of defensive standouts in Carlos Fowler and Matt Shaughnessy.
Fowler played defensive tackle for the Badgers, and helped UW earn a Big Ten title and Rose Bowl title in 1993.
Fowler started his post-college football career in the Canadian Football League with the Toronto Argonauts and then the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, then headed to the Texas Terror of the Arena Football League for a year before heading across the pond for NFL Europe and the England Monarchs. He returned to the states to finish his career in the Arena Football League with the Houston ThunderBears, the Nashville Kats and the Los Angeles Avengers.
Dec 7, 2014; Glendale, AZ, USA; Arizona Cardinals linebacker Matt Shaughnessy (91) against the Kansas City Chiefs at University of Phoenix Stadium. The Cardinals defeated the Chiefs 17-14. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
At UW from 2005-2008, Shaughnessy was a strong pass rusher who got into the backfield with ease.
Shaughnessy had 18.5 career sacks, the 11th best figure in school history, and his 41.5 career tackles for loss are the eighth best mark in the Wisconsin record book.
He played in 50 games — starting 46 — and helped the Badgers along four straight winning seasons.
Shaughnessy was drafted in the third round of the 2009 NFL Draft (No. 71 overall) by the Oakland Raiders, and played there until 2013 when he was signed as a free agent by the Arizona Cardinals.
Who wore No. 92 first?
• Guard Ervin Johnson (No not that Ervin Johnson) wore No. 92 first in 1935.
Who wears No. 92 now?
• Redshirt freshman nose guard Jeremy Patterson currently wears No. 92 for the Badgers.
Stay tuned to Badger of Honor as we continue our daily countdown in preparation of the season opener against Alabama.
More from Football
- Wisconsin Football flips 3-star defensive tackle from Northwestern
- Former Wisconsin Football stars to be featured on the next Wheaties box
- Believe it or not, Wisconsin Football has never played these FBS teams
- Four-star running back Darrion Dupree commits to Wisconsin Football
- Wisconsin Football wide receiver enters the transfer portal