As the countdown to the first Wisconsin football game of the season continues, Badger of Honor is taking a look at Badgers by the numbers, checking in on a different Badger or Badgers players who wore the number corresponding with the remaining days until the Badgers head to Texas to take on the Alabama Crimson Tide Saturday, Sept. 5.
Next up in our countdown, signifying 90 days until college football is back is a 1950s-era Badger — Don Voss.
Voss spent 1951-52 at UW-Madison, and was a member of the vaunted “Hard Rocks” defense in 1951. The “Hard Rocks” Badgers defense actually outscored the offense 58-53 on the season.
The Badgers went 7-1-1 in 1951, and in 1952 went 6-3-1 and won the Big Ten conference with a 4-1-1 record. Wisconsin’s tie came against Minnesota, marking one of eight incidences in the series history where neither team took home Paul Bunyan’s Axe.
The No. 11 Badgers finished the 1952 season with a 7-0 loss in the Rose Bowl to No. 5 USC.
Voss was an All-American in 1952, and here’s how the Wisconsin record book describes his time at UW:
"“Member of famed ‘Hard Rocks,’ top-defensive unit in the coun-try in 1951, allowing only 6.6 points per game, 66.8 rushing yards a game, 154.8 total yards per game … played in the 1952 Rose Bowl … member of 1952 Big Ten Championship team … was also a track All-American in 1952 … could not play professionally due to a career- ending knee injury”"
Voss died in 2010 at the age of 76.
Who wore No. 90 first?
• Left halfback Kenneth Kundert first wore No. 90 for the Badgers in 1934.
Who wears No. 90 now?
• Redshirt senior punter Drew Meyer currently wears No. 90 for the Badgers.
Stay tuned to Badger of Honor as we continue our daily countdown in preparation of the season opener against Alabama.
More from Football
- Wisconsin Football flips 3-star defensive tackle from Northwestern
- Former Wisconsin Football stars to be featured on the next Wheaties box
- Believe it or not, Wisconsin Football has never played these FBS teams
- Four-star running back Darrion Dupree commits to Wisconsin Football
- Wisconsin Football wide receiver enters the transfer portal